Wednesday, October 27, 2010

So this winter thing is really happening, huh?

Snow. It happened, and I don't like it. Although the second I got back from AZ and there was a chill in the air I was cold and craving some warm soup. My Mom used to always make this vegetable soup, and I remember she'd always tell me she threw in whatever she had to it. I couldn't resist making it last night. It's ridiculous how easy it is. I literally just used what I could find at home.

Here's what I added...
3 Diced new potatoes
1 can cut green beans
1 can kidney Beans
1 can garbanzo beans
1 package of frozen veggie mix (mine had cauliflower, broccoli, and carrots)
1 small zucchini cut in small pieces
1 can tomato paste
2 cups whole wheat bow tie pasta (or you could use whatever small pasta you have in your pantry)
6 cups water
2 chicken bullion cubes (you could use canned chicken broth if you have that)
2 TBS minced garlic
2 TBS dried oregano
2 TBS dried basil
2 TBS onion powder 
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Add the potatoes and the liquid first. Allow to boil for a few minutes so the potatoes become tender. Add everything else except for the pasta. Cook for 5 minutes and add the pasta. Allow it to cook, covered, until the pasta is done. 
I ate mine with some warm whole wheat pita bread! For one cup of soup there is about 200 calories. It's amazing how creative you can get with this. You really could add ANY veggie to it!

1 comment:

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I could live off of soup during the winter. Yours looks so good!! I must try it! See you tonight at spin:)