Saturday, March 26, 2011

Spring Cleaning

Today was a deep cleaning day. I love the feeling of having a clean house after it's all done. It just feels SO good! Having the fridge all clean makes me want to fill it with fresh fruit and veggies.

Did you know...Heavy cleaning burns about 90 calories in twenty minutes?

I feel really good about that. In all of the cleaning I realized I have a bunch of bananas that are reaching peak ripeness. I started thinking about one of my FAVORITE desserts...Frosted Banana Bars. The nutrition facts for the original recipe looks a little something like this.
 These look like typical dessert-ish stats. If you ask me. Man those things are tasty though...so, I decided to remedy the situation.

Healthier Frosted Banana Bars
(Makes 36 Bars)

Ingredients: 
1/4 cup butter
1/4 cup applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup splenda
1 egg
2 egg whites
1 cup fat free sour cream
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup wheat flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 bananas

In mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Add eggs sour cream and vanilla. Combine flour, soda, and salt. Gradually add to cream mixture stir in bananas. Spread batter in greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350 for 20-25 min. Cool and frost.

Cream Cheese Frosting 
Mix together:
8 oz fat free cream cheese
2 tsp vanilla
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup splenda

Here are the stats for the healthified Frosted Banana Bars: 
We cut out about 80 calories here, which is great news. Although they still aren't full of nutrition it is definitely a healthier treat...and oh so delicious! :)

Do you like to clean? I do, which is totally weird. My mom likes to remind me that as a teenager she and my dad would just shut my door because the piles of clothes on my floor looked like some sort of retail bomb went off. I am a TOTAL neat freak now. What do you do with your left over bananas? I have so many favorites...Healthy Banana Crumb Muffins, PB Banana Protein Bars, Low-fat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins, Low-fat Banana Bread, and Banana Oatmeal Cookies. Have a great rest of the weekend!

16 comments:

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

I love when you healthify recipes!!! Thanks :-) Those look so good!!! I need to seriously clean my apartment but I haven't had time yet. Maybe tomorrow!

Benita said...

looove deep cleaning. almost as much as I like NOT hearing ralphie...

Anonymous said...

I do NOT like cleaning :)
i DO like your healthiefied banana bars.......delicious!

Unknown said...

LOL! that was me too! Now I am a "must make my bed" kind of girl. Happy Spring cleaning.....and eating!
LC

Keri said...

I always feel so productive after a good cleaning!
I love to make banana bread!!

Coy Martinez said...

hey! Great blog. I'm a horrible cook so I'm loving the recipes!

ash & diz said...

I am a TOTAL clean freak! always have been, even as a little kid. My fav thing for ripe bananas... OATMEAL. YUM! or mixing them with fat free cottage cheese and yogurt. delicious!

A Prelude To... said...

When our bananas are about to go, we cut them up and toss them in the freezer for smoothies or banana soft serve.

Thisisme said...

I MADE banana muffins this morning, I WISH I READ THIS FIRST! arg!!!

CLEANING day for me today!!

Mara Campbell said...

Oh, those banana bars looks great. I need to buy some extra bananas so I try all your great banana recipes!!

COLORADOctor said...

yummm. Great minds think alike- I used some ripe bananas to make banana bread in the oven right now :-)

Erin@gosupermamago said...

I love cleaning..although as a stay at home mom I do waaaay to much of it!

We never have leftover bananas because I put them in everything, muffins, pancakes, waffles, oatmeal, cereal, pb banana sandwiches, etc. Oh and if I let her my 20 month old would eat 12 per day. :)

Those bars sound delish!

Hope you had a great Sunday! :)

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

UMMMMM.....WOW!!! Those look AMAZING!!! Come help me clean, I am SO bad at it!!! I love when you make recipes so much healthier....you are my hero and I need to see you asap. Yogurtland? PB is back:)

Unknown said...

i pretty much hate cleaning..but reading how much you love it definitely made me look around and realize I have only been living here for a month and already my apartment is a mess...I need to get on that!

I love bananas though!! One time my sister made banana syrup for our pancakes and I was seriously in love with it...I need to get the recipe. Also can't wait to try out this one of yours as well :)

hope you have had a fabulous weekend!

Julia said...

ummm...just realized that i was signed into a random email account...oops. that last post was from me:)

Little Miss Runshine said...

I always clean to procrastinate! I can't focus when I have a messy area, and it is a productive way to procrastinate!

I love chocolate chip banana bread!!! mmm