Monday, August 30, 2010

Worth the Replacement

Zucchini Season. It's here in full force.
If you're looking for something to do with your surplus zucchini go HERE.
I decided to make some zucchini bread.

While making it I made some of the usual substitutions in the recipe that I always make, one being trading out the oil for applesauce.
The particular recipe that I was using called for 1 cup of vegetable oil...I was kind of appalled, so I decided to do some math.

1 cup of vegetable oil = 1879 calories and 218 grams of fat. In case you were confused, that is just plain disgusting.

This recipe makes two loaves of bread with about 940 calories per loaf just from the vegetable oil. Let's say each loaf puts out about 8 slices of bread, we're looking at 118 calories per slice JUST from the oil. This would break down to about 13.6 grams of fat per slice just from the oil.

NOW...I substituted applesauce for oil.
1 cup of applesauce = 102 calories and 0 grams of fat.

If we divide out the applesauce for the two loaves of zucchini bread we're looking at about 7 calories per slice from the applesauce and 0 grams of fat.

As far as the taste goes, I think the applesauce makes it more cake-like and moist. Tell me that caloric trade out isn't worth it!

2 comments:

The Smith Clan said...

Wooow that sounds so good!

Aubri said...

Looks yummy! I have also tried replacing fat with vanilla yogurt or greek yogurt. That works great too!