Sunday, December 21, 2008

Exercise of the Week: Plank with Tricep Kickbacks.

This weeks exercise comes with a disclaimer. A reminder, if you will, about why I do things the way I do. :)

Ever since I injured my lower back a few years ago, I've been really involving core training into my workouts. After trying to ignore the injury for a few months I decided it wasn't going to go away, and if I wanted to continue working out pain free I needed to get rid of it. I tried everything, Dr.'s, chiropractors, massages, and nothing seemed to help me. I decided to take matters into my own hands. (Not something I recommend in most injury situations, but I was at the end of my rope.) I began to study more about the body's core, and core training. I implemented core exercises more and more into my routines and surprisingly the pain started to subside. In some amazing way, strengthening my core muscles diminished the pain in my lower back, and it hasn't returned since. I now do core training as a part of all of my clients workouts, and two that have previously experienced severe back pain have had the same great results as I have. I can't promise this to be the case with everyone, but it is most definitely worth a shot! So...having that said. I like to take a lot of my exercises and add something to them, so they use your core; testing your balance, working your abs, making you concentrate on which muscles you're using. It can only benefit you. I promise!


Grab one dumbbell; I would say a 8-10 pounder. Get down on the ground in plank position with your arms fully extended. Grab the weight in one hand bring that elbow back, balancing all your weight on the opposing hand. Do regular triceps kickbacks with the arm holding the weight. Aim to do 12 to 15. Repeat on the other side.
*Things to think about
-aim to keep your hips down in line with your body
-avoid opening your hip that on the side you're working to your arm. You'll feel it more in your abs if your hips are turned down, abs fully engaged.
-think about that triceps muscle as your are squeezing that arm all the way back straight.
-if you aren't feeling it in the back of your arm try holding at the full extension for a second or two and then release slowly

Good luck!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...



Also visit mу blog post :: emarketing

Anonymous said...

Many of these plug and play video game franchise build hand-coordination and critical thinking skills.
Actually the answer is really simple. For better or worse, Rio has a reputation for getting inside the head of the Republican Guard
and Saleh's nephew, General Tareq Mohammed Abdullah Saleh, who headed the presidential guard. These aren't' simple" kill the bad guy" Video Game Franchise.

My webpage; toy story video games