Saturday, July 10, 2010

The Rio. Warning: This is scary stuff.


I love my nutrition facts.
I don't like to eat at restaurants where I'm clueless as to how things are being prepared, and what the stats are. Call me crazy...cause I probably am a little bit :)
One place that has been a thorn in my side with my clients and myself is, Utah's favorite, Cafe Rio. I had heard rumors of what was being thrown in that massive tin, but not exact numbers.
So, naturally, I was delighted/horrified when Benita showed me that Cafe Rio finally posted their nutrition facts online.

Brace yourselves.
Then click HERE, and scroll down to "nutritional information."

AGGGHHHH!!!!!

A 12 inch whole wheat tortilla 430 calories?!?!?! ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That should be your caloric intake for a whole meal...not for the side.
Add to that:
Black Beans: 140 calories
Rice: 130 calories
Pork: 120 calories for 2 oz...no way of knowing how much they are actually throwing on there.
Salsa Fresca: 20 calories
Guacamole: 50 calories
Sour Cream: 60 calories
Cotija Cheese: 30 calories
Tortilla Strips: 150 calories
Creamy Tomatillo Dressing: 130 calories

We end up with a salad 1,260 calories deep. OH MY GOSH. That is a lot.
So if you think that by getting a light "salad" you're doing yourself a favor. You aren't.
My suggestions to make this a better meal choice?
Strip your salad.
-Ditch the tortilla, guacamole, sour cream, cotija cheese, and tortilla strips all together. I promise you won't miss them.
- Load up on the Pico de Gallo. At only 5 calories a serving you can't go wrong. This stuff has a TON of flavor too so you won't need all that dressing.
-DRESSING ON THE SIDE. I've said it once, I'll say it again. DON'T drench your salad. You don't need that much dressing.

So if you keep the beans, rice, meat, pico de gallo, and use just a little of your dressing you're looking at a 400-450 calorie meal. MUCH better. MUCH.

OLE!

1 comment:

Lindsey said...

HA! I was right! Years ago I called Cafe Rio and pretended I had some disease and HAD to know the amounts of every ingredient in the salad. I then plugged it all into calorie king and I came up with 1200! I've read on different websites anything from 600-1200. I knew it had to be towards the higher end. I'm so proud of myself for being right all along... lol.