Sunday, June 26, 2011

Rest Day and Healthier Banana Bread Chocolate Chip Cookies

Sunday mornings usually involve some sort of baking for me. Sundays are my rest day and my day off, so I have time to do it. I love rolling out of bed and spending the morning baking in my pj's. It's divine.

Sundays = Rest Day. 
While I love my workouts, I also love my rest day. I have definitely been subject to over training and putting too much stress on my body, and I'm sure many of you have experienced the same situation. Over training can lead to injuries, fatigue, depression, decreased performance, and overall feeling of exhaustion; Some of which can be difficult to recover from.

In order for the body to perform at its optimal level it needs to have some time to recover and repair itself. In order for your muscles to become stronger they have to have to be worked, and they also need to rest so the body can repair them. Your energy stores need to be replenished as well. By allowing your body a day to recover, you will be feeling fresh and ready to kill it again the next day. As far as rest days go here are my suggestions...
- Don't take lazy advantage of the "rest day" excuse. Be real. You know when you aren't working hard enough...when you're rest days seem to pop up every other day, or seem to be happening more frequently than your actual workouts, you may need to restructure your workouts.
- Don't let your nutrition go buckwild on your rest days. Sometimes when we don't exercise we go into a spiral of bad habits and our eating isn't so great either. Try to keep your nutrition up to par, so when you get back at it the next day you'll be feeling fab and ready to go.

Rest days are important. Allowing your body some time to repair itself is something you need to be sure to do.  It is an important part of staying healthy.

and now on to the recipe...
Kristy posted this recipe for Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies the other day on her blog Sweet Treats and More, and it immediately caught my attention. I had to give it a try. I changed up a few things to add my own healthified twist, but she done good. These cookies were a hit!

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread Cookies
(Adapted from Sweet Treats and More)

Ingredients: 
1/2  cup white sugar (You could substitute baking splenda/agave/honey here)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup butter, softened (I used a 1/2 cup butter and 1/2 cup applesauce)
2 eggs (I used one whole egg and two egg whites)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used whole wheat flour)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
3 ripe bananas, mashed
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup milk chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 375.

In the bowl of your mixer cream together the butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. In a separate bowl stir together the flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. Add to the creamed mixture and mix well. Mix in the mashed bananas, oats, and chocolate chips until well incorporated. Drop onto a cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.

Banana bread in cookie form? What's not to love? 

Do you take a rest day? I definitely do! Every Sunday. How much do you love banana bread? I am a huge fan. Let's be honest, I love everything banana-chocolate chip-ish...

14 comments:

Julia said...

love rest days. I take them every friday and sunday...at least i normally do. I really am the worst at eating TERRIBLY on my rest days though. I could definitely improve there!

ummm I gotta make these cookies. If I can get motivated tonight...it may happen sooner rather than later :)

Rene said...

You must have known I have a basketful of overripe bananas. I love banana bread and will be making these for sure.
I love my rest days!

Lindsey said...

Great tips about rest days! Those cookies look great!

HD said...

Oh my goodness those look delicious! They are going on my list of things to make after my sugar free challenge :)

Erin@gosupermamago said...

Those cookies look soooo good! You always post such great recipes! I made something similar a couple of days ago w/ honey--they are missing chocolate chips though. I will definitely add those next time!

I always take 1 rest day per week. I wasn't always good about it, but now I know the importance and I'm really good letting my body rest and grow. I love the fact that your muscles are growing while your resting. :)

Anonymous said...

I adore my rest day!!! I take one every Sunday, and it is always glorious. I used to feel so guilty on rest days and would end up doing way more than I should. I completely agree that it is so easy to eat too much or eat worse on rest days, and I really have to watch my food that day.

Those cookies look amazing - I can't wait to make them!

By the way...did you see? The blog is up!!!

Rachelle Wardle said...

Great post! I often forget the importance of rest days because I feel like such a slug. But you are right that they are necessary for optimal performance. Thanks for the reminder.

Now if only I could learn to keep my nutrition in tact on rest days. I am the worst at that.

Mel said...

I rest on Fridays :-)

Wish I could bake, but it's a total trigger for me. And now that I have to be gluten and dairy free, it's just too much trouble, lol~

Unknown said...

Love the healthier version!

Melissa said...

When I first started running, I thought more was better and didn't rest enough. Now I know better and am a better runner for it!!!

mmm those cookies look yummy!!

Michelle said...

Rest days are so nice, but I am always so ready to hit it hard on Monday! I always feel like I let nutrition slip a bit too much on Sundays, so I like to get on track on Monday. And to be honest, you are my inspiration for doing so!

I love banana bread so much! But I have yet to find a healthy recipe that I truly love. These cookies look like something I will try soon!

Koreanlover101 said...

I realized that I need to take at least one day off from my exercising. I exercise every day for an hour and small exercises in the day time. I'm planning to start doing these on Sundays! :) But I'm wondering if you do light exercises on your rest days, like yoga or brisk walking? I'm just not sure.

oakleyses said...

coach purses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, nike free, coach outlet store online, gucci outlet, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin shoes, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, air max, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets