Monday, October 25, 2010

Road Rules

I think I've made the drive to AZ and back about 10 times this year. Between the trek to see the family, and the fun road trips with my friends, here, there, and in between. I feel like I've spent some serious time in the car. It's fascinating to see people's road trips food habits. For the most part people tend to stock up on candy and snacks galore, hydrate with soda, snack the entire drive, and stop at whatever horrendous fast food location will get them refueled and on the go. Sound familiar? Because I've been doing so much driving I refused to let this be my story as well. Don't let a day trip in the car be the sabotage to your weeks worth of hard work. Here are some tips to beat the road trip munchies.

1. Plan Ahead: More than likely you will get hungry in the car, so be prepared for it. Bring a small cooler with cut up fruit or veggies and hummus. Pack whole wheat crackers, almonds, granola bars, or protein bars. Try if you can to go get pre-portioned foods, so you don't have to worry about letting your hand find the bottom of the Wheat Thins box two hours later. 

2. Know your distances: If you know you your route plan out healthy spots where you might be able to stop and get lunch. If you aren't going to be able to stop somewhere healthy pack a loaf of whole wheat bread and some peanut butter and jelly, or some cold cuts. You'll save money and calories. 

3. Don't let the convenience store inconvenience your diet: You stop to get gas and suddenly everything on the gas station shelves looks so enticing. Be strong. Ask yourself, am I really hungry? Do I really want a treat? You might just be thirsty, and need some water. If you really are hungry eat real food, not junk food. 
4. Don't be a mindless muncher: So often we drive on and it's like because we know there is a bag of food packed for the trek we feel like we have to eat it. Not so. Be in control. Ask yourself if you are really hungry or just thirsty. Be aware of what you're eating throughout the trip. Remember that because you're sitting in the car instead of moving around doing your normal daily activities you aren't burning your usual amount of calories. You'd be better off to keep your calorie intake on the lower side, rather than overindulge in mediocre snack food.

5. Hydrate: Bring water bottles. If you feel like snacking, drink some water. 

6. Chew gum: Sugar free flavored gum can help you to fight off those sweet tooth cravings. 

7. Don't let others bad habits ruin your good habits: So often we fall to caloric peer pressure, because our friend is eating it, we feel like we should have it too. Don't let this sucker you in. You want to have success! Be strong. 

My road trip necessities as of now are: 
Vitamin Water Zero (The Orange Flavor tastes like Tang. So good.)

Blue Diamond Natural Almonds. Very Tasty.

Quakes Caramel Corn Rice Cake Bites. A sweet, tasty, guiltless indulgence.

Cliff Bars. I love the Crunchy Peanut Butter and the Chocolate Mint.

Orbit Gum. I always have a fruity and a mint on hand.

Happy Traveling!

2 comments:

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

LOVE IT! Hope you had fun in AZ. We are driving to Vegas this weekend so I am printing this post and putting it on my fridge to remind myself all week long! Vitamin water sounds so good right now:) Gum seriously helps so much too!

Mars said...

Loved this. I just drove to Cali this weekend and was proud I was able to keep from snacking on junk. We stopped at a Farmers Market on our way back to AZ so we grabbed some fruit and nuts. perfect!