Monday, March 10, 2008

Deceptively Delicious is RIGHT!


If you haven't heard about Jessica Seinfeld's new cook book Deceptively Delicious, I'd be surprised, BUT no worries, now you'll be in the know. While worrying about her kids eating healthy she came up with the idea to puree fruits and vegetables and disguise them in foods her kids love. Hence, a great collection of nutritious recipes. I think the idea is novel! Why not make the foods you love to eat a little healthier, and at very little trouble.
So...after hearing about this cookbook i looked at it at the bookstore several times, and even bought it for my mom before finally purchasing it for myself last week. I am absolutely in love with it. She has great recipes that are nutritious and edible! My first attempt at making something from her book was straight from the dessert section (of course). I tried out her Oatmeal Raisin Cookies that call for pureed bananas and zucchini. I'm not a huge fan of raisins, so i replaced them with chocolate chips. The consistency was a little more cake-like than your normal cookie, but i thought they were SO good...and so did all of my taste testers.
One thing that i think is important to note about this concept is that these pureed F&V's shouldn't replace those that are normally being served with the meal, just added to it. Kids need exposure to a variety fruits and vegetables so they can learn to enjoy them! They will benefit from learning to like them at a young age.
Here's the Recipe..
Oatmeal Raisin Cookies

Ingredients: 1 cup whole wheat flour, 1 cup old fashioned oats, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar, 6 Tbs trans-fat free soft tub margarine spread, chilled, 1/2 cup banana puree, 1/2 cup zucchini puree, 1 large egg white, 1/2 cup raisins 1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)..i opted out on the nuts as well...

*dont' use an electric mixer, it will make the cookies tough.
directions: preheat the oven to 350. In a bowl combine flour, oats, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon. In another bowl beat sugar and margarine with a wooden spoon just until combined. Don't over mix. Add the banana and zucchini purees, and egg white and stir just to blend. Add the flour mixture, and raisins, walnuts, or chocolate chips and stir to combine. Drop by heaping tablespoonsful onto baking sheets, leaving an inch in between. Bake until golden brown- about 12-15 min. Let the cookies cool on baking sheets for 4-5 min just until firm enough to handle, then transfer to rack to cool completely.
Makes 2 dozen cookies

Here is the link to her website if you want more info on her book
http://deceptivelydelicious.com/site/

2 comments:

Jenna said...

I'm so sad I didn't taste one while they were sitting out. Guess I will have to be a little more on the ball next Sunday.

Nichole Barney said...

I totally make my kids a protein shake everyday with spinach, zucchini and varieties of fruit. I also put flaxseed meal which is full of fiber. If you add pineapple juice it counteracts the bitter green veggie taste and hides it. They guzzle them down everyday and I sit and smile while they do it. Only Kiley knows I put veggies in it.