Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Homemade Whole Grain Kamut Bread

My clients are totally awesome. Not only are they fabulous people, but they are always sharing their good finds with me. If they find something delicious that is healthy and new, they will sometimes bring me a sample of it to get my stamp of approval. One of my clients has been talking about how she has the best whole wheat bread recipe ever, and I had to try it. I am always willing of course, so I asked her for the recipe. Not only did she bring me the recipe, but she brought me some freshly ground Kamut flour that the recipe calls for. I am not going to lie, I had never even heard of Kamut flour...so, I had to do some research.

Kamut flour is a kind of whole wheat flour that comes from the Kamut grain. This type of flour isn't going to be in all typical grocery stores. You are more likely to find it at a health food store. I am not quite sure where my client bought it, but I do know that she ground the wheat herself before she brought it to me.

Some AWESOME facts I learned about Kamut flour...
- It contains 40% more protein than regular flour. Awesome. You know I love this. (In 1/4 a cup there is 4 grams.)
- It has a sweeter taste to it which means you can cut down on the amount of sugar you use with it when Baking.
- It has a naturally buttery flavor which makes the taste of whatever you are making delicious.
- It is high in fiber. (In 1/4 a cup of Kamut flour there is 4 grams)
- Those who have an allergy to regular wheat can usually tolerate Kamut a lot better.
Basically it is a better tasting whole wheat flour.
Isn't that just pretty? It is SO. DANG. TASTY too. 

Whole Grain Kamut Bread
(Recipe from: Hall and Gibson)
This recipe makes 4 medium loaves

Grind 9 cups of Kamut on medium/fine setting
gently combine together:
3 1/2 cups warm water (105-110 degrees)
2/3 cup honey
4 cups Kamut flour
2-2 1/2 TBS instant yeast

Turn mixer on speed 1 and add in:
3 cups Kamut flour
3 TBL vital wheat gluten
1 1/2 TBL salt
**let this sit for 20 mins**
add in:
1 more cup Kamut flour and mix until it is combined.

add in:
1/3 cup softened butter

Turn mixer on speed 2 and knead for 8 minutes. Dough should be soft, but not sticky. You can add some more flour if needed. Let it raise in a bowl sprayed with cooking spray, covered for 30 minutes or until dough has doubled. Section dough out into 4 pieces. Loaf into pans. (I rolled out each section into a rectangle with a rolling pin and then rolled them up so they were pretty and smooth in the pan.) Let raise for 30 minutes more, covered. Cook for 32 minutes at 325 degrees.

Before yesterday I had also never baked bread with wheat gluten. I actually wasn't quite sure what it was. Gluten is the main protein in wheat. It is made from wheat flour that is washed until all the starch dissolves, and the elastic mass of gluten remains. Because wheat bread can be so dense, using vital wheat gluten can help to increase the rising potential.
This bread is UNBELIEVABLY good. The consistency of the bread is awesome, and it smelled like heaven in my house all night. I think even those who don't usually love wheat bread might go for this bread because of it's light and buttery taste. It is DIVINE. Try it out!

Have you ever baked or cooked with Kamut flour? Do you use vital wheat gluten in your baking? Do you ever make homemade bread? I have a friend who's mom makes fresh wheat bread every week for their family. I think THAT is amazing! If I had a family to cook for I would TOTALLY do that. For now, I'd probably end up eating entire loaves on my own...

Also...Don't forget to enter February's mix giveaway HERE!

8 comments:

Kristabel@RaceReady said...

I haven't even heard of this flour, but that bread looks absolutely perfect!

Frieda Loves Bread said...

I just found some kamut at my Good Earth store and was wondering what to make with it ~ thanks for sharing a great recipe!

Anonymous said...

does adding the vital wheat gluten kinda defeat the purpose of using the ancient grain kamut? i know it helps this supremely dense wheat rise more but if youre using kamut flour then youre probably looking to avoid regular variations of hybridized wheat i'd imagine. I don't know much about VWG but id imagine it would contain the gliadin protein which is what a lot of people are now finding undesirable in their bread. looks yummy though and i grouse because i still cant get a nice rise on my kamut loaves :-(

oakleyses said...

coach purses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, nike free, coach outlet store online, gucci outlet, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin shoes, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, air max, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets

Unknown said...

www0515
cheap jordans
michael kors outlet
spurs jerseys
air max 90
polo ralph lauren
suns jerseys
uggs outlet
ray ban sunglasses
marc jacobs outlet
cheap jordans

Unknown said...

www0802

coach outlet online
pandora jewelry
adidas nmd
kate spade outlet online
coach outlet online
jordans
ecco shoes
coach outlet
uggs outlet
ralph lauren uk

5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.2
polo ralph lauren
golden goose shoes
pandora
pandora outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors handbags
jordans
fitflops sale clearance
canada goose jackets
ugg boots