Sunday, December 26, 2010

I. Feel. Sick.

Ugh. Does your house look like this...
or this...
or this? 
Right now, Mine does, and that is not even the half of it. I told you that I don't usually eat sugar. I also told you that I decided previously that Christmas Eve and Christmas were going to be my, "free days." I had a list of my favorites that I wanted to eat while I was home.

The list included...
- chocolate covered cinnamon bears (check)
- peanut m&m's (check)
- caramel popcorn (check. check. check. check.)
- York peppermint patty (check)
- Danish Pancakes with homemade Magelby's Syrup (check)
- Red Vines (check)
- Stomach Ache? (check.)

Clearly, I don't discriminate. My mom saw me eating some caramel popcorn and she said, "It's good to know you can actually be a normal person sometimes." I felt weird, and very out of my element. Would you like to know why there are four "checks" by the caramel popcorn? Because my family had chewy caramel popcorn, baked caramel popcorn, white chocolate popcorn, and cinnamon caramel popcorn. I am not kidding. I had some of all of them. It appears it's one of my favorite food groups. Gross.

I feel like I have accomplished and relearned a few things in these past two days....
- I am so excited to NOT eat crap again starting tomorrow.
- I really like feeling like I am in control of my diet.
- I am an all or nothing person. Saying that I'll just have a bite, doesn't work for me. If it's something I really love I just want more, but if I don't even start I'm a lot better off. I think it is important to know how you react to your own habits.
- I love the feeling that exercising and eating healthy gives me. When I compare that to how I feel right now, it is not even a question as to which I'd pick.
- I was definitely reminded how extra candy, treats, and snacks can add up to extra pounds. Snacking can be SCARY if you are trying to lose weight. Eating a little here and little there is exactly why people don't realize where extra calories are coming from. Be aware of your food. This is why food journaling is so important.
- I definitely enjoyed eating my favorite foods. They were all really good, but not worth it to me looking back. I take it back, it was worth it for me to get eating them out of my system. It also gave me a great, "restart," so to speak. Here I am after eating them, and all it's done is leave me feeling gross. I'm excited to get back into a good routine.
- I think there is a LOT to be said about moderation. If you can manage to keep yourself in control with a little bit of a treat here and there to let you mentally feel OK about eating healthy, like you aren't being deprived, good for you. I wish I was that strong ;)

I'm ready to go back to healthy foods and my indulgence being frozen yogurt. How did you do over the holidays? Did you eat too much?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I can TOTALLY relate with this post today, I'm an all or nothing girl myself and I *love* all of your favorites, too!
I'm starting a new today, wish me luck and good luck to you! Stay strong with the family, mine tries to tempt me all the time! My husband is the worst, "Umm, let's go out for Mexican food!" I think they have good intentions, though!
THanks for this great reminder today!!

Anonymous said...

I dont' discriminate either. The scale says I've gained 4.8 lbs since Wednesday. Good times.

Katy said...

I am the same way. Once I start, I can't stop. Unfortunately, I don't have your discipline. Yet. I'm working on it though!!

Heather said...

I love this post! I am the same way - all or nothing - and I feel horrible when I go "all in." :) But yes, that's what I did over the holidays. I was so anxious to get back into my normal routine yesterday and already feel more like myself after 2 days of healthy eating, a great workout yesterday and a run tonight. That's more like it!