Saturday, March 10, 2012

The Yoga Lab and a Paleo Update

Happy Saturday! This morning I started off my day bright and early at The Yoga Lab (at The Lab) with some restorative yoga. I honestly don't think I couldn't have started my day ANY better. I forget how much I really like yoga until I take the time to do it. It always feels so good to really stretch and strengthen your body, and to have the time to do some relaxation and meditation. SO SO SO great.
If you are in Utah county, or if you are looking for a road trip...you should come do some Saturday yoga with me! We are offering free a free restorative Yoga Class every Saturday morning from 7:30-8:45 for the month of March. The teacher is AWESOME, and It really will start your Saturday off right. If you'd like more info about it leave me your email address!

I had planned to do a long run today, but I decided to mix it up a bit. I did 95 minutes of intervals on the elliptical instead. I watched this past week's episode of The Biggest Loser while I worked out, and I was completely captivated. If you are looking for something to motivate you while you are working out that will certainly do the trick.

I have had a few of you ask for some updates on how my first week of paleo has gone. Here it goes in bullet-ted form...because that is just the way I do things. 
- Breakfast was the hardest transition for me. This week I have either had 3 whole eggs or 3 oz of turkey jerky and some berries. Turkey jerkey for breakfast? I know...weird. Cody gave me the tip to check out Costco's natural turkey jerky. It is the Oh Boy Oberto! brand,  and it is so good. It is a great snack you can take with you for those of you who are looking to eat some protein on the go.
- I haven't felt hungry. I am eating a TON of veggies, fruits, and lean proteins. Ok, I should rephrase that...I get hungry when it is time to eat, but I eat my good meals and then I feel satisfied. I don't go to bed feeling hungry in the slightest.
- There have definitely been ups and downs. It hasn't been entirely easy. The food plan itself requires will power, planning, and determination to stick to it. My philosophy in life with a healthy diet is the 80 percent rule. I think that 80 percent of how you look is diet, and 20 percent is exercise. I also think that if you can eat perfectly 80 percent of the time, you can stand to be not so perfect the other 20 percent. I'd say with this past week I have been pretty on my game. I did not tell myself I was going to give up my diet dr pepper one hundred percent, because I was already feeling like I was giving up a LOT. So, I told myself I was going to do my absolute best to not drink it because all artificial sweeteners are out in the paleo plan, and I think it is better to not drink it. I am pretty proud of myself in that area. I went all week without even a drop. I did have one today though, and I sure did savor it.
- I have HAD to be prepared. I had to be sure I had fresh produce and good protein. Funny how all of the convenience foods are the foods we should probably eat less of, and yet we usually end up eating more.
- I have eaten a LOT of chicken. It's times like these that I wish I liked fish... 
- I am down two pounds on the scale
- I am loving that I have coworkers and clients doing this with me. It is always so great to have a support system to bounce ideas off of.
- I think the first week of anything is the hardest! So, I'm excited to see how next week treats me :)

Do you practice yoga? Do you have any awesome healthy chicken recipes that I should be trying to mix things up??

9 comments:

kara t. said...

Although I understand eating lean protein, I would suggest you try substituting some other meats. Costco has great free range beef that is super delicious and good for you! Every Day Paleo has some great recipes using a wide range of meats so you don't get bored and are getting those great nutrients that come from the fat of high quality meat! I also love the Kirkland brand precooked turkey breast (you buy the entire breast) because it's easy for on the go meals and is super moist :)

Unknown said...

Where is the lab? I would love to come check it out!

C and K said...

Megan,
Wow, I am so impressed! My sister has been doing no white sugar for awhile now and I wish I could. Maybe sometime soon I will try it. She said it it a lot easier going cold turkey like you did then just trying to eat less sugar!

I am going to be in town March 31st... Are they having that yoga class then (conference weekend) ? I would love to try it! kailee.fitch@gmail.com

I love this Cashew Chicken recipe over brown rice.
http://eclecticrecipes.com/cashew-chicken

xo
Kailee

Marissa said...

I love yoga to start my mornings, even just 20 minutes. It's more energizing for me than caffeine!

C and K said...

I think you might like this one!

http://www.cookincanuck.com/2011/11/hearty-chicken-stew-with-butternut-squash-quinoa-recipe/

Danielle said...

As a fellow oatmeal lover, I feel like this Paleo/Primal oatmeal recipe might change your life just like it did mine (I've been Primal for about 2 weeks now):

3/4 c liquid egg whites
1 banana, mashed (no lumps...I find the easiest way to do this is slice it into a cup and mash with a fork)
Cinnamon to taste
1 TBSP chia seeds or ground flaxseed
1/4 c unsweetened almond or coconut milk
1 TBSP almond butter

Add the egg whites, banana and cinnamon to a small saucepan and turn up to medium heat. Whisk continuously, until mixture thickens (don't stop whisking, or your egg whites will cook into solid ;)). Turn heat to low, then stir in chia/flaxseed. Finally, stir in 1/4 cup of the almond/coconut milk, let sit for a few seconds, and remove from heat.

Pour into bowl and top with 1 TBSP almond butter and enjoy!

This totally satisfies my oatmeal cravings as it's warm and comforting, and gives me an excuse to keep eating melty nut butter ;) It doesn't taste egg-y which is great, although the texture may take some getting used to.

Let me know if you try it!

Amanda said...

I have a great recipe for healthy chicken nuggets, and I eat it probably twice a week. But it's got bread crumbs, so it may not be allowable on paleo?

Sounds like you've done awesomely! I gave up Diet Coke and Diet Dr Pepper a year ago. To this day, I never crave Diet Coke, and I always crave Diet Dr Pepper. I don't give in, but man, oh man, I remember how delicious it always was!

Amanda

oakleyses said...

coach purses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, nike free, coach outlet store online, gucci outlet, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin shoes, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, air max, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets