Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Let's Talk Eating Habits

One of the most difficult things about working out is food. People would love to think that they can separate the two, but unfortunately it just isn't possible. I've said it once, I'll say it again...(as will the million other people who have said it)...YOU ARE WHAT YOU EAT. True, there are some people who can get away with eating whatever they want and working out occasionally, and sometimes never. BUT, understand that these people are the minority. My motto of the day?
I have worked with people in the past that think that they can eat whatever they want all day long, and by coming into the gym they will look like a million bucks. If only, right? The problem is, it can take a LOT of sweat and effort to burn a good 500-1000 calories, and it can take about 5 to ten minutes (and scarily sometimes even less time) to consume that same amount. Sabotage anyone?

This is the first thing that I try to drill into the heads of those that I work with. The food you eat will make up about 80 percent of the results you'll get, and your workouts are about 20 percent. So, with my clients, before we even start working out...I make sure they know if you want to see results from the ten million squats, hundreds of sprints, and hours of planks that you're doing...be sure that what you are eating smart. Eat clean. Watch your portions. CUT OUT SUGAR. AND for heavens sake stop eating so much sugar! Be consistent with your actions. Doing things for a week isn't going to do much for you...keep up your efforts for several weeks! If you need some more tips read 10 weight loss tips that work and 10 that just won't.

Bottom line: Make your efforts in the kitchen more than just lifting a fork up and down...kapeesh?

2 comments:

Rene said...

Love this post! I've gone to the same gym with many of the same people for 6 years and most haven't changed much at all. I'm naturally thin but I notice that if I want that cut, lean look that I have to watch my food.

Anonymous said...

I love this post! It has been in the back of my mind the last day or so and it has helped me out so much! I love how you said that you can ruin your healthy eating in just a few minutes from taking in too many calories. great reminder!