Confession...I have a sweet tooth. I think I can thank my mom for that one. One thing that is hard for me in trying to eat healthy is avoiding a lot of candy and processed sugar. I have found that when you completely ban yourself from having any sweet anything when its something you love, you'll want it that much more. Sometimes this will lead to a binge making things worse than they were before you told yourself you couldn't have it. The solution...little induglences. I have found some great substitutes for candy and dessert that don't make you feel like you're being cheated at all! He're my list...feel free to add you're favorites to my list. I'd love to hear them!
1. Frozen Yogurt - probably my favorite thing ever. With no fat, and about 90-110 calories per 1/2 cup you can't go wrong. The only thing to watch here is the amount of sugar, but not a bad treat!
2. Jell-O Fat free sugar free pudding - banana is probably my favorite flavor. No fat, No sugar, and about 25-50 calories per serving.
3. Chrystal Light - Love it. about 5 calories per serving. Raspberry Ice is probably my favorite.
4. Cut up strawberries with splenda - about 50 calories in one cup
5. My Beloved Zuchinni Cookies - (see recipe below) with 80 calories, and 3 grams of fat they are SO good. I'm not lying. I've even tested them on guys who went back for seconds!
6. Diet Dr. Pepper - I know a lot of people have aspertame issues, but after speaking with my nutrition professor in depth about it I still feel ok about it. A little DDP can be D-lightful!
7. Dreyers Grand Light Ice Cream - Girl Scout Cookie Thin Mint is my favorite. Most flavors average about 120 calories/ 4 grams of fat per cup. It is gooooood.
8. Sugar free Cream savers & Werthers - both taste like the real thing and are a great little treat to stick in your purse.
9. My Protien Shake - Frozen Strawberries, a banana, ice, skim milk, a little bit of splenda, a scoop of vanilla protien powder, some ground flax seed, and my secret ingredient (cinnamon!). So good. about 200 calories, and 18 grams of protien. Very filling too!
10. Tootsie Pops - If you're really needing a treat to tide you over these little suckers are a good option. 60 calories, 10 grams of sugar, and 0 grams of fat. Not too bad if it gets you through the day!
mmmm...these are all my favorites. If you know me I think you'd agree these things pretty much describe me ;) I'm needing a treat just thinking about it...
I think the best thing you can remember is moderation! Its not bad to indulge a little bit here and there, just make sure your diet is consisting of the good stuff for the majority!