All I think of when people say Popeye was how he ate lots of spinach and it made him big and strong. I wonder if this ever made kids actually eat more spinach? Pretty sure it didn't work on me as a child. Good things times have changed. I am a big fan of spinach these days. I eat a few cups of it every day. I think it's one of those "super foods."
I have been buying this bodybag sized bag of spinach at costco for about $4.00, and it's like a man vs. food challenge for me to eat it all before it goes bad.
Last time I ran into Costco to pick up a few things, and I had a new bag of spinach I happened to walk past a sample table of an employee who must not have been getting much attention. The conversation went a little something like this.
Costco: (Yelling at me as I walk past his table) You just come from the gym?
Me: Yep. Sure did.
Costco: You must workout a lot.
Me: Yeah, I do. It's part of my job.
Costco: What do you do?
Me: I'm a personal trainer, and a nutrition coach.
Costco: Ohh...of course you are. That is a lot of spinach. You eat really healthy. I bet I eat more spinach than you.
Me: Do you? Good for you. It is really good for you. (Me rearranging the 5 giant items in my hands, trying not to drop them)
*I never get a cart at Costco. I buy too much if I do.
Costco: I put it in everything...in pasta, eggs, sandwiches....(trailing off for 5 minutes...)
Me: Yep, it's great. (Juggling goods again) Well, I have to go. Have a good day!
Costco: Wait...personal trainer...how do I make my chest huge?
Me: Get a personal trainer, and eat lots of spinach...
Anyways...despite the fact that I almost lost all of my purchases about 5 times while he stared at me juggling them around, I did like his point. You really can put spinach in anything.
Today for lunch my spinach addition went a little something like this...
Scrambled eggs...(1 whole egg, 3 egg whites) and a sprinkle of fajita seasoning.
To that I added a healthy handful of fresh spinach.
It cooks down to basically nothing, so you can't even tell it's there.
I put that inside a La Tortilla Factory Whole Wheat Tortilla.
Added some salsa. Because what isn't made better with a little salsa?
And Ta-Da! It was real good...
(did anyone see the modern family episode with the "ta-da??")
You really can add spinach to anything.
Why is spinach so good?
- It's RIDICULOUSLY low in calories, but very high in nutrients, vitamins, and minerals.
- It is a good source of...(are you ready for this jelly?) an excellent source of vitamin K, vitamin A, magnesium, folate, manganese, iron, calcium, vitamin C, vitamin B2, potassium, and vitamin B6. It’s a very good source of protein, phosphorus, vitamin E, zinc, dietary fiber, copper, selenium, niacin, and omega-3 fatty acids.
- It contains flavanoids and antioxidants which are cancer fighters! (And just help to boost your immune system in general.
- It helps promote good digestive health. Sooo good for the colon.
- The carotine found in it helps keep your eyes in great shape.
- It contains a TON of iron. This is especially beneficial to women who lose a lot of blood through menstruation. It partners up with hemoglobin which delivers oxygen in the body. This means that if you have a low amount of iron you will likely have lower amounts of energy.
- It is SUPER versatile. Pasta, salads, sandwiches, smoothies, omelets, etc. Get creative. It's great.
My challenge to you? See what you can get spinach into! Oh and trade it out for that iceberg lettuce, it's not doing anything for ya...
What do YOU put spinach in? I think the possibilities really are endless here.