Not feeling so hot? It seems like everyone I talk to is feeling a little under the weather. It comes with the season I guess. Unfortunately, the gym seems to be a prime location for swapping germs. Here are some tips to avoid getting sick at the gym...
1. Wipe down your equipment. Lots of sweaty bodies use the cardio equipment, and most people don't take the time to wipe their stuff down. Grab the disinfectant spray, do a quick spray down before and again when you're done. It takes like 10 seconds.
2. Avoid touching your mouth, eyes, ears, and nose while you're working out. Although your body has protective membranes to try to help you fight germs, it's easy to transfer sicknesses by touching those openings into your body. Not worth it.
3. Get a waterbottle that doesn't require you to touch the mouth piece to open and close it. Avoiding contact with where your mouth is going to be touching is very important. This also goes along with touching your phone while you work out. It may be smart to wipe it down after you leave the gym with some disenfectant wipes or something to get all those germs off.
4. WASH YOUR HANDS. It's AMAZING and seriously disgusting, to see people leave the bathroom without washing their hands at the gym. I've seen it more than once, and it makes me sick. You'd better believe I'm watching to see where that little lassie goes, so I avoid ANY contact. So gross right? I know. Try to wash your hands when you're leaving the gym. before you get in your car as well.
5. Wear gloves to lift weights. Not only does this help you to avoid getting caluses, it also cuts down your gem contact. And you look super tough. ;)
6. Be smart. If you are super sick, don't bring the germs to the gym. If you can't miss a work out...because I know some of us feel that way, (and i have been a culprit...several times) just be curteous and wipe your equipment down afterwords. Your gym friends will thank you.
7. Get enough sleep. If you aren't allowing your body adequate rest, you're going to be more run down and your immune system isn't going to be as strong. Go to bed.
8. Be prepared. Try to prevent getting sick if possible. Take a multivitamin, and eat a lot of fruits and vegetables. Getting a variety of good nutrients into your body will help you to strengthen that immune system.
Sometimes there isn't much you can do to fight it, but do what you can if possible. Who wants to be sick? yuck.