Sunday, December 12, 2010

Oh, make me over...I'm all I wanna be...

Thank you Courtney Love. She is a crazy lady...that is for sure. 
Anyways...that song kept playing in my head as I typed up this post. The first, of many, recipe makeovers! 
Leisa wrote in with a few recipes, and I will get to them all I promise. Just one for today though. 
Funeral Potatoes are full of creamy cheesy goodness...and also full of calories. However, this is a GREAT example of how recipes can be health-ified. Without further ado...

The Original Funeral Potato Recipe
1 32 oz bag of shredded hash browns
2 cans of cream of chicken soup
2 cups of sour cream
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1/2 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups crushed corn flakes
2 Tbsp melted butter

(I omitted the directions here, and will include them with the healthier version.)

Recipe makes 16 servings
Nutrition Facts: 553.7 calories (YIKES!) 24 grams of fat (13.9 of which is saturated, double YIKES!) 75 grams of carbohydrates, 8 grams of fiber, 12.6 grams of protein 

Health-ified Funeral Potatoes
12 large potatoes (If you must use a bag of 32 oz. frozen hash browns, find the bag of shredded frozen potatoes with the lowest calorie count.)
2 cans of Campbells Healthy Choice 98% fat free cream of chicken soup
2 cups fat free sour cream
1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
2 Tbsp smart balance or light butter spread
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups crushed Fiber One Honey Clusters Cereal (Don't be nervous, it's good. Promise.)

Directions:  Heat your oven to 350. If you are using potatoes, peel them and boil for them for 30 minutes, or until they are just tender. Grate the potatoes. Spray a 9X13 inch pan with cooking spray. Combine soup, sour cream, smart balance (melted), and chopped onion into a separate bowl. Combine the potatoes and the creamy mixture. Press into the 9X14 pan. Put 2 cups of cereal into a ziplock bag and gently crush with a rolling pin. Sprinkle cereal on top of potatoes. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.

Recipe makes 16 servings
Nutrition Facts: 197.6 calories, 3.1 grams of fat, 37 grams of carbohydrates, 6 grams of fiber, 6 grams of protein.

Calories saved: 356.1
Fat Grams saved: 20.9
Grams of carbs saved: 38

Not too shabby if you ask me!!
I just love Sundays. I slept in, which I only get to do on Sundays. Today is my rest day, so no exercise. I put everything in my crock pot before church for some yummy minestrone soup. Today I added broccoli, potatoes, carrots, yellow squash, and zucchini for veggies. Benita also whipped up some of my fave Easiest Whole Wheat Bread. Which I would have to say makes for a perfect meal. We had an amazing Christmas program at church today that based around music. It was awesome. In the next life...I hope I can sing... ;) Now I'm chowing down while watching Christmas Vacation. Don't you just love this movie???

I hope your Sunday has been just as relaxing and enjoyable as mine has!

2 comments:

Nicole said...

This was an Extreme Makeover! I bet they're just as good as the original version. The workout below looks killer.

Merediths said...

Awesome. Now can you give us some more healthy potato based recipes. Potatoes are cheap...And that's what the budget is calling for this month.