1) Because they usually come either in bag form if you are at home or bowl form if you are at a restaurant there is NO portion control. Everyone tends to underestimate how much they are really eating.
2) They are so good, but they are SO not filling.
3) They aren't your meal. They make makeup the caloric amount of what your meal should be, but they are usually just the appetizer or a snack. You are usually hungry when you eat chips and salsa and you want to just keep eating because you are hungry!
3) They are high in calories. The salsa isn't, but the chips unfortunately are.
So what's a salsa lovin' snacker to do?
Let me tell you.
Guiltless Chips and Salsa
1) Get yourself a whole wheat tortilla. I used my favorite La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Whole Wheat Tortilla. I swear they should be paying me in mountains of tortillas for the props I give. You are welcome La Tortilla Factory! Turn your oven on broil. Spray a cookie sheet. Place your tortilla down on the sheet.
2) use a pizza cutter to cut your tortilla into strips as big or small as you'd like. Spray the tortilla slices with a quick spritz of non-stick cooking spray. This helps them to crisp up.
3) Stick them in the oven on the top rack until they are nice and crispy. Be careful not to let them burn.
4) Pop them out of the oven and serve along side your favorite salsa.
Yep. That just happened. THAT quickly. They taste SO dang good and they are an awesome alternative to fat filled tortilla chips. This entire portion is about 120 calories, 8 grams of protein, and 12 grams of fiber. Hello...amazing. Not only that, this snack is completely portion controlled. My tortilla makes about 24 chips. I PROMISE you will love this.
As I was eating it I was dreaming about how good it would have been with my healthy black bean salsa. Next time!
Do you love chips and salsa? I don't know how you couldn't. I hope you all have great plans for the weekend! I love Fridays!!