Friday, April 1, 2011

Jokes on who?

April fools day gives me anxiety. I like pranking people. I don't like being the recipient of a good prank. Although after the fact I do find it funny. Last year my friends though it would be a good idea to break into my room in the middle of the night in a gorilla suit (with a camera) and wake me up by jumping on my bed and flashing my light on and off. Heart attack anyone? SHEESH. Maybe one day you'll get to see that video.

My mom is in town for the week and she stocked up my candy jars for Easter. (Thanks mama cita! My friends will be loving you.) There are so many different delightful holiday treats out there, but I don't want you to be fooled into thinking that a few handfuls here and there don't add up...so instead of having the joke be on you...I thought I'd fill you in. I know, maybe you don't want to know. Knowledge is power. Promise.
 First off, my personal favorites...Peanut M&M's
This is what 1 serving looks like. 
 1/4 cup = about 20 peanut M&M's. 
Stats: 220 calories 11 grams of fat (4.5 saturated) 22 grams of sugar 4 grams of protein

Next...Divine Cadbury Mini Eggs. 
I think these things are infused with some sort of addictive substance.
This is what 1 serving looks like = 12 pieces
nutrition stats: 190 calories 8 grams of fat (5 saturated...yikes) 27 grams of sugar 2 grams of protein 
Easter Candy Corns 
Here is what one serving looks like - 22 candy corns
140 calories 0 grams of fat 32 grams of sugar (that is more than you should have in a day)

Starburst Jelly Beans
If you are eating regular jelly beans you are a) crazy b) wasting your calories...these are WAY better. 
Here is what one serving looks like...1/4 cup
 150 calories in 1/4 cup and 0 grams of fat.

Marshmallow Peeps
1 serving - 5 chicks
For the record. I think these are disgusting...so I don't have a photo for you.
 For one serving there is 140 calories. 

Reese's Eggs. We're talking the big ones that come individually wrapped here.


 One serving is one egg and has 180 calories and 11 grams of fat. Yowza...
Hopefully that helps you to not be fooled when you're reaching in the candy jar.

 Now something serious. This is NOT a joke. There are mice in my house...real ones. If you're thinking Cinerella/Fieval Goes West/Mickey Mouse...don't be fooled. They aren't cute and cuddly and helpful when sewing. They are gross. This pic is real...you may just feel sick enough after seeing it to not want to eat candy at all. SO GROSS.
I wish that was an april fools day trick. I reaaally do..


Were the nutrition facts surprising to you? It always seems like candy is higher than we think it is, and it's so easy to keep eating because it doesn't fill you up. Any mice extermination tips for me....GROSS.

23 comments:

Unknown said...

that is disgusting...glad you caught them...and I hope there isn't anymore. And Cadbury Mini Eggs and the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups are my vices...heck if they are in front of me, they are all my vices!

Beth said...

Oh man, I have to make a Target run tonight. I get the feeling I'll need a separeate shopping cart for candy. :P

Amber said...

poor little guys :(

not that i would want any near me...

Julia said...

eeeeeeeeek. i am not down with those mice. creepy creepy. i am sad about the TRUE facts about my favorite candies...although I did not feel TOO bad about the starburst jelly beans. but i have to have at least 1 reese egg and some pb m&ms to make it Easter. ha!

hope to see you tomorrow?

Nicole said...

I'm trying to quit sugar because of those nutrition facts! You have also inspired me by setting a fantastic example that it can be done. Some days are better than others, but hopefully it'll get better.
The mice- eek! Pretty gross, I hope you're able to get rid of them asap.

Unknown said...

maybe janae can come clean out your candy pantry. It will fuel her for her 20 mile training runs, hehe. I love the easter candy, but I am not a sweet tooth person. I'd rather have a spoonful of nut butter. Probably a good thing, eh? No joke either!

Rene said...

That is so gross. I hate mice so much! Once when the hubs was out of town I paid my kids (aged 13 and 8 at the time). To dispose of a mouse that was in a trap. EEEWWWW.
I love Easter candy. It will be nice once the holiday is over and there are no longer aisles of seasonal sugary goodness tempting me - at least until Halloween.

Kris said...

That was too perfect! I was almost thinking I wanted one of those treats.... then those mice... not hungry anymore!!!! Thanks! :)

Shannon said...

Would you think I'm some sort of crazy sicko if I said the picture of the mice kind of made me giggle? I actually just found it amusing to see the picture on here. I think I have mice in my ceiling, too. One night I was laying in bed and heard some scratching and tapping going on up there.

I bought some of the sweet-tart jelly beans to use as fuel on my long runs, so I can eat them and not feel bad!

OneLoveSarah said...

yikes mice! I love this post (besides the mice) with all the serving sizes!
Peanut M&M's are my fav too

Anonymous said...

well they weren't surprising..but i liked being ignorant ;)

Mara Campbell said...

Oh Easter Candy...how I love thee! And I agree, those darn cadbury mini eggs must have some sort of addictive substance, once I start...I can't stop. That's why I try my hardest NOT to buy any. I am not a girl of moderation, I just keep going until the bag is empty. :-)

Stephanie said...

Haha. Twins again. RIGHT as I saw the "divine" eggs I thought...man those are good. Then you wrote Peeps and I thought...ew. THEN I got to the mice and REALLY thought ew. I used to get mice when I lived near an open field. They freak me out!! Peanut butter on traps seemed to work best...GOOD LUCK!

ash & diz said...

umm... you are crazy for not liking Peeps...

that is all. ;)

p.s. SOOO excited for our fro yo date tomorrow!

Edible Art said...

ah .. how sad ><

ive had rodents as pets before.
hamsters and gerbils n such.
theyre actually very smart little guys,
but i guess these arnt the pet types.. and they could be carrying something sickly :/

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

This post made me cry. I need to see the video!!!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

Coming to terms with the calories in mini eggs is not fun for me. I also believe that there MUST be some secret ingredient not on the label. Those things are heavenly.

Coy Martinez said...

Whoa! Snapped necks! I wonder if you set the candy outside if they would leave?? HAHAHA! I live in the country and our home gets invaded once a year. It's like by the big mice too. Too fat to sew mice!

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

Wow haha I would LOVE to see that video :-)

Halloween and Easter candy scare me...it is like Frankenstein food season. I hate it. My boyfriend LOVES those cadbury eggs and I can't get enough of them whenever he buys them haha oh well

Tina @GottaRunNow said...

I'm happy to see that peanut M&M's (my favorite in your post) have that much protein! Sorry about the mice, but it looks like you've figured out the best way to take care of them already. ; )

oakleyses said...

coach purses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, nike free, coach outlet store online, gucci outlet, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin shoes, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, air max, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets

oakleyses said...

hollister, air max, air max, moncler, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, gucci, baseball bats, coach outlet store online, vans, parajumpers, pandora jewelry, lancel, hollister clothing store, ugg, ray ban, thomas sabo, oakley, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, converse, moncler, timberland boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler outlet, karen millen, ugg, iphone 6 cases, louboutin, louis vuitton, rolex watches, swarovski crystal, canada goose, converse shoes, moncler, moncler, ralph lauren, toms shoes, hollister