Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Back To School Lunch Ideas

I can't believe I am even saying that. It can't be time for people to go back to school yet can it? I hate even the thought of it. I really do.

The funny thing? My schedule doesn't even change, aside from the fact that clients tend to go on fewer vacations. I graduated from BYU three years ago, and hearing people talk about going back to school still makes me cringe for some reason. I think the reason I hate the sound of it is because it means summer is drawing to a close. I love summer. I hate winter.

With school coming, I often times have moms ask me what they can send with their kids for healthy school lunch ideas. I grew up hating school lunch. I always packed my own lunches, and I'm pretty sure they were the kind people weren't going to want to trade. I would take sliced up cucumbers and tomatoes, cheese and crackers, and tupperwares of salad...and don't worry I had my share of fruit snacks and Sunny D too.

Creating healthy lunches to send with your kids (or to take yourself) can be difficult, but hopefully these suggestions will get you on the right track.

- turkey wraps (Use La Tortilla Factory Low Carb Tortillas or Flat Out Wraps)
- tuna wraps
- peanut butter and banana wraps
- whole wheat turkey sandwiches
- DIY lunchables with whole wheat crackers, lunch meat, and cheese slices
- whole wheat pita pockets filled with chicken, turkey, tuna, or whatever you kiddie likes!
- healthy pizza roll ups 
- whole wheat pb&j
- Mini Meatloaf Muffins 
- hard boiled eggs
- healthy muffins such as: Low Fat Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- string cheese
- fruit  (apples, grapes, oranges, bananas, sliced strawberries, raspberries, etc.)
- sliced veggies and hummus or ranch (cucumbers, tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, etc.)
 (You can even pre-bag these like i have done HERE, so your preparation is easier!) 
- individual yogurts (you can add a bag of granola)
- homemade granola bars or protein bars such as these peanut butter banana protein bars
- fat free/sugar free pudding packs
- fruit leather
- and don't forge to throw in a little dessert with a healthy cookie or two
School lunch doesn't have to be boring! Instead make it fun, delicious, and healthy! Who knows, your kid might actually eat it instead of tossing it in the trash so they can hurry out to recess!


What are you healthy lunch ideas? Were you a school lunch kid? I don't think I ever ate school lunch once until I got to Jr. High and I discovered the vending machines and the pink cookies in the cafeteria. Gross. I don't think that is even considered lunch. Do you have ways of preparing healthy food so your child will eat it?

12 comments:

Unknown said...

your recipe ideas are so great! I love all of them and would happily feed them to my kids (if i had kids). haha.
LC

Elle said...

I don't have any kids either but definitely going to be trying some of your bars and cookies!

Mrs. JM said...

my kids started school three weeks ago!

i pack lunches for them and i put a lot of thought into what it is they're eating so imagine how bugged i get when they come home, i open their lunch box and find an empty wrapper from a "Trade" that i would not have approved of if i'd been there. it's so frustrating.

anyway, today i came across a fun idea for "sandwich kabobs" that i think i'll try sometime soon. basically you alter squares of wheat bread, squares of turkey, cheese and cherry tomatoes on a kabob. fun, right?

Julia said...

i totally needed this post...i feel like i find one thing that is a semi-healthy lunch and then eat it every single day for that year. maybe this year i can try some variety. maybe.

Natalie Cates said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I started back to school this week (hence my vanishing from the blogosphere), and I'm already planning my lunches for next week. I take my lunch nearly every single day, and I hate getting in a rut with what I take. I do a lot of chicken salad, tuna, salads, wraps, veggies, fruit, pita pizzas, oatmeal (i know - everyone thinks it's weird), sweet potatoes, and of course leftovers. I try to take different things so I never get tempted to buy hot lunch. Great post!!! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Hi there to every single one, it's actually a good for me to go to see this site, it includes priceless Information.

Have a look at my homepage ... diets That work For women

oakleyses said...

coach purses, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors outlet, coach outlet, michael kors outlet, oakley sunglasses cheap, kate spade outlet, prada handbags, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, tiffany and co, chanel handbags, oakley sunglasses, louboutin, burberry outlet, polo ralph lauren outlet, michael kors outlet, michael kors outlet, tiffany and co, burberry outlet, nike free, coach outlet store online, gucci outlet, louis vuitton handbags, longchamp outlet, louis vuitton outlet stores, michael kors outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet, louboutin outlet, true religion jeans, true religion jeans, kate spade handbags, longchamp handbags, tory burch outlet, jordan shoes, louis vuitton outlet, christian louboutin shoes, nike shoes, michael kors outlet, air max, coach factory outlet, prada outlet, longchamp handbags, louboutin

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets

oakleyses said...

hollister, air max, air max, moncler, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, gucci, baseball bats, coach outlet store online, vans, parajumpers, pandora jewelry, lancel, hollister clothing store, ugg, ray ban, thomas sabo, oakley, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, converse, moncler, timberland boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler outlet, karen millen, ugg, iphone 6 cases, louboutin, louis vuitton, rolex watches, swarovski crystal, canada goose, converse shoes, moncler, moncler, ralph lauren, toms shoes, hollister

yanmaneee said...

lebron shoes
kyrie irving shoes
balenciaga
supreme hoodie
ferragamo belt
nike off white
supreme clothing
christian louboutin
supreme t shirt
supreme clothing

Unknown said...

best replica ysl bags have a peek at this website k6e29q8j57 replica bags cheap look these up p6x51y8e21 replica ysl replica bags review d5m05p4y30 replica bags dubai replica gucci handbags t8u51x4k73 replica bags bangkok