Monday, September 5, 2011

Moist Healthy Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

I purchased a larger than life zucchini when I went to the farmers market a couple weeks ago. I'm still trying to use it all. I looked forever to try and find a good recipe for zucchini muffins today, but to no avail. So, I decided to combine what I liked from three or four different ones, and I came up with a recipe that I really, really like!

I first thought I'd make zucchini bread, but decided I wanted to make muffins because I am all about the portion control.  I like knowing exactly how much each muffin calculates to be calorie-wise. I know. I am crazy.
The result was moist, fluffy, zucchini muffins with a hint of cinnamon. I of course had to add in the chocolate chips because that is what makes the world go round, but I think the bread would be delicious without them.

Healthy Whole Wheat Zucchini Chocolate Chip Muffins

makes 20 muffins

Ingredients:
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup splenda (or no calorie sweetener of your choice)
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
6 oz plain fat free greek yogurt
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1 cup grated zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Directions:
Preheat your oven to 350. Mix together brown sugar, splenda, egg, vanilla, and greek yogurt. Combine baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, cloves, and flour. Add in grated zucchini, and chocolate chips. My zucchini was actually more pureed than grated because I did it in the food processor. You can make it the consistency that you prefer.

Spray your muffin tins with non-stick spray. Fill muffin tins about half full. Cook for 15 minutes in oven, or until they pass the toothpick test.

ENJOY!
Nutrition Facts:


Have you been using the fresh produce from your gardens or local produce stands? I have been loving all of the fresh goodness! Do you prefer quick breads or muffins? I love breads, but I like being able to freeze muffins and have them portion controlled for me!

P.S. Don't forget to enter my September Sweat Songs Mix Giveaway

7 comments:

ash & diz said...

Looks delish! I've been snagging veggies from my Grandpa's garden! It's been great. :)

P.S. still waiting for a date! ;)

Janetha @ meals + moves said...

These look awesome, love the stats!

Merediths said...

Love it. Next time try adding fresh blueberries instead of chocolate chips....even more 'money'. I made some last week with fresh blueberries (that I had frozen) and thought they were superb. The blueberries were a little bit frozen still so they held their shape and were so moist. Oh my, it was zucchini muffin heaven. :)

The Hungry Runner Girl said...

I know first hand how amazing of a baker you are and how your healthy baked goods are so good they don't taste healthy so I must try these. PS I need you in my life NOW!

Suz and Allan said...

I'm definitely adding this to my list of things I must make soon!

We are doing 5 Days of Giveaways on our blog this week if you or any of your readers want to stop by!

Marissa said...

Lindsay (of Duck Beach Karaoke fame) sent me the link to your blog and more specifically these muffins... these are now my weekend plans. So exciting! Looking forward to keeping up with you lovely ladies out West and learning a lot about being healthy :)

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets