Saturday, December 17, 2011

Healthified Cinnamon Bun Cake

I have a darling nephew who loves baked goods more than anyone I know. He's adorable, and for his birthday every year he requests this Cinnamon Bun Cake. It would be a great addition to any holiday party, and is absolutely phenomenal served warm with a scoop of Dreyer's Grand light Vanilla. It would make a perfect Christmas Eve treat, and I think Santa would appreciate it, just saying.

FYI: This recipe is one that my family has modified to lighten it up. I am posting the original recipe and the changes that I made to make it lighter! 

Cinnamon Bun Cake

Ingredients for cake:

1 pkg yellow cake mix (You could use a sugar free version here, but we just use the normal)
1 3 ¾ oz vanilla pudding (We go with the fat free/sugar free option)
2 Tbs Oil (We use applesauce here and it makes it moist and SO good)
1 1/3 cup water
2 eggs (Replace these with 4 egg whites or egg beaters)

Ingredients for streusel:
*You only end up using about half of this streusel topping, so although the brown sugar may seem high, you won't use it all.
½ cup flour
1 ½ cup brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 TBS butter - I omit this completely. The streusel works just fine without it.
And check here for any current coupons before you shop for these ingredients.

Ingredients for glaze: Mix 4 Tsp skim milk with 2 cups powdered sugar.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a large bowl, blend cake mix, pudding, applesauce, water, and egg whites. Beat 2 mins at medium speed. Do not over mix. Spread1/2 batter evenly in a 9X13 inch pan sprayed with nonstick spray. Combine streusel ingredients and sprinkle a good layer of the mix over batter in 9X13 pan. Spread remaining batter on top, and then top that batter with an even coat of streusel. Bake at 35-40 mins or until done. Top with glaze while warm. This cake keeps really well and stays moist if you cover it, so you could even make this the night before a big party and warm slices up in the microwave for a few seconds before serving.

This is a great lighter option if you are looking for a warm and tasty holiday dessert. 

This week in review...
- I got an iPhone. Best thing ever. I am obsessed with Instagram. 
- I feel like I have BARELY been home. Work. Gym. Family. Friends. Christmas-ing. Chaos.
- We threw a "Christmas Morning" themed holiday party on Friday night. Breakfast for dinner, pj's, white elephant gifts...the whole shebang.  
- Heathered gray seemed to be the theme. Yep...my pj's were an oversized men's sweatshirt, leggings, and some knee high sweater slippers. I go for comfort. 
- I'm LOVING clementines as a snack these days. I love oranges, but hate to peel them, and clementines peel so easily. They are also perfectly portable. 
- I ran a pain-free 6.3 miles today, and it felt better than running has felt in a long time. I attribute this to A) having music to listen to once again (thank you iPhone) and B) a SWEET Rockmyrun playlist. If you haven't checked it out yet you REALLY really should. 
- I CANNOT believe Christmas Eve is a week away. I am so excited. Are you ready? 

Do you leave out a treat for Santa Clause? If not, you should start this year. I hear the big guy reeaaallly like Cinnamon Bun Cake. Are you feeling the holiday stress? It's about that time.

2 comments:

Cotter Crunch said...

oh i wish i had instagram! have fun with it. miss you! and hugs from NZ.

Melissa said...

I started making that cake about 5 years ago for my dad for father's day and birthday. Except we call it honey bun cake. always a hit!