Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Healthy Zucchini Lasagna

The seasons are a lil' bit different in sunny AZ.  My parents love gardening and they take advantage of the warm spring months to grow some produce. I talked to my mom on the phone yesterday and she told me that while she was here visiting her zucchini grew like WILD. I was wishing I was there to partake. I love garden fresh veggies. It reminded me of a delicious Zucchini Lasagna I made last fall and never posted. It is low in carbohydrates, lower in calories, and very high in protein. Instead of noodles...you use zucchini!
Zucchini Lasagna 
Ingredients: 
2 cups shredded chicken breast (you could also use lean ground turkey or lean ground beef)
1/4 cup chopped onion
2 cup tomato sauce (or favorite spaghetti sauce)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
4 medium zucchini (1-1/4 pounds) sliced thinly in long slices.
1 cup low fat cottage cheese
1 egg
3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
1 cup (4 oz.) shredded mozzarella cheese

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cut your zucchini into thin slices the length of the zucchini. These will act as your noodles. Boil zucchini for 3 mins and then lay out on paper towel with another paper towel on top to absorb the excess water. While these are drying make sauce.
In large skillet sprayed thoroughly with cooking spray, combine cooked shredded chicken and your onion over medium heat. Once onion is sauteed, add tomato sauce and seasonings. Bring to boil;  reduce heat to simmer, uncovered, for approximately 5 minutes.
While your sauce is cooking,  combine in a small bowl; cottage cheese and egg. In a 9x13 baking dish sprayed with cooking spray, place half of the zucchini; sprinkle with half of flour. Top with cottage cheese mixture and half of your chicken/sauce mixture. Repeat layer of zucchini and flour.Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining meat/sauce mixture.
Bake at 375° for 40 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with additional cheese if desired. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.

The amazing stats...

Almost 30 grams of protein PER serving, and this veggie lasagna makes GREAT leftovers. You won't even miss the noodles, which can make this a great option for those who need gluten free meal options. I made this lasagna with some of the easiest whole wheat bread ever for a side. It was a perfect meal. And while you're dealing with all this zucchini...you may as well make some of these delicious low fat zucchini cookies for dessert! 

Do you like zucchini? I LOVE it. It's such a great addition to any dish, and is so low in calories! Do you have a garden? I wish I did. There is NOTHING like garden fresh tomatoes. I could eat them like an apple...and I do.

36 comments:

Julia said...

MEGAN. i missed you last night. TONS. don't ever do that to me again. this lasagna looks SO delicious. i think i must be starving because the past 5 blogs I have read have been about food and i am feeling dizzy with hunger. haha. i cant wait to make this. and then make those cookies right after. yum yum yum. oh. and I cant wait to have a garden and a yard with like 3 dogs. and sunny days. and a lounge chair. yup...sounds fabulous! miss you :)

A Prelude To... said...

I put zucchini in everything now. You couldn't get me to even try it when I was a kid. It has such a neutral flavor that I don't even notice it when I toss it in my stir fry or omelette, but I feel healthy for eating so much of it :D

MegSmith @ Cooking.In.College said...

That looks AMAZING!!! I am saving this for sure :-)

Rene said...

I wish I had a garden too. My backyard is tiny though. The lasagna looks so good that I'll have to try it.

Natalie Cates said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Natalie Cates said...

We have a LARGE (think over 200 tomato plants last year) garden in our side yard - it was almost a full acre last year (it was a family garden for about 3 families, not just for me ha). We scaled it back quite a bit this year (1/4 acre) and are planting this weekend. I cannot wait to have fresh vegetables, especially squash, tomatoes, and zucchini! I will save this recipe for sure, because when those veggies start coming in...man they will be running out my ears in no time at all. I also eat fresh homegrown tomatoes like apples! Thanks for the awesome recipe!

Vanessa @ Gourmet Runner said...

What a great recipe! My husband loves lasagna but I think mostly it's just the sauce and cheese so maybe I can convince him that this one is just as good!!
:)

Unknown said...

um, I don't like zucchini...I LOVE IT!!!

Great recipe girl.

Elle said...

This looks wonderful Great idea.

I love zucchini, the green and the yellow. Love to make ribbon salad.

No garden for me anymore, but sometimes I have a basil plant on the boat and I grow sprouts!

Anonymous said...

wow that zucchini recipe sounds AMAZING!!!! I don't eat meat but I will definitely be making this with soy crumbles as a substitute! Also, I LOVEEEE zucchini! Two years ago i grew it in my backyard and we had giant zucchini growing every.single.day!! I cant even tell you how much zucchini bread I made that summer =)

Monique Geisler said...

This sounds equally as interesting as eggplant parm, and I love eggplant parm!! :) I'm definitely going to have to give this a try.

And yeah, all our plants have been growing like WEEDS since March. Silly Arizona sun.

Generation X (Slomohusky) said...

love zucchini! i will give this a try.

Samantha said...

oh.my.goodness. That looks amazing! I love zucchini.

Melissa said...

this looks like the perfect spring/summer meal, yummmm. bookmarked!!!

Samantha said...

I just gave my baby zucchini - one of his first foods- and I mixed it with banana and he loved it!

ruth said...

MEGAN!!! I LOOOOOVE zucchini. I had a garden two years ago and I was literally eating some variation of that lovely squash every day of the summer... heaven. but ive never tried lasagna with zucchini!

no garden this year... maybe next year ?:)

Mel said...

I adore zucchini, I usually buy it 5 lbs at a time. It's great to add to anything.

I even make a "zucchini bread" oatmeal with it

Rachelle Wardle said...

Yum that looks and sounds amazing! I live in a small farming community (Payson) and my neighbors are constantly bringing me huge bags of zuccini! I am always freaking out trying to figure out ways to use it.

Now instead of just making 25 loafs of zuccini break with extra chocolate chips I can try something healthier! :) Thanks megan you are the best.

P.S. fhe? how old are we now...pf on Monday night is as fhe-ish as it can get girl!!!

Stefanie D. said...

YUM, that looks so good! Have you ever tried Pizzuchinni?? I love it. So good. Recipe on dashingdish.com.

Benita said...

mmm i love this lasagna! we need to make it again!

Jody @ Raising Fin and Fish said...

So jealous! I'm just now planting my vegetables for the summer. I won't be enjoying them until late summer, early fall!

ashley said...

oooooo zucchini lasagna looks amazing!

Harbor Living said...

Looks Amazing. How many servings does it make. I am trying to figure out the points on a WW diet. Thanks

Anonymous said...

Keep thіs going pleasе, grеat job!


mу blоg рoѕt: same day loans
My website :: same day loans

Anonymous said...

My brother suggested I might like this web site. He was entirely right.
This post truly made my day. You can not imagine just
how much time I had spent for this info!
Thanks!

My webpage; diets that work for women

oakleyses said...

jimmy choo outlet, ugg boots, new balance shoes, birkin bag, vans shoes, soccer jerseys, canada goose, north face jackets, chi flat iron, mcm handbags, canada goose uk, insanity workout, ugg pas cher, asics running shoes, instyler, nike huarache, p90x, giuseppe zanotti, bottega veneta, valentino shoes, nike roshe run, ferragamo shoes, canada goose, moncler, abercrombie and fitch, herve leger, hollister, nfl jerseys, soccer shoes, longchamp, mont blanc, mac cosmetics, ugg australia, lululemon outlet, ugg, babyliss pro, rolex watches, canada goose outlet, marc jacobs, north face outlet, celine handbags, ugg boots, ghd, reebok outlet, wedding dresses, beats by dre, canada goose, uggs outlet, canada goose jackets

oakleyses said...

hollister, air max, air max, moncler, juicy couture outlet, supra shoes, pandora charms, wedding dresses, gucci, baseball bats, coach outlet store online, vans, parajumpers, pandora jewelry, lancel, hollister clothing store, ugg, ray ban, thomas sabo, oakley, montre homme, moncler, canada goose, converse, moncler, timberland boots, swarovski, juicy couture outlet, pandora charms, links of london, moncler outlet, karen millen, ugg, iphone 6 cases, louboutin, louis vuitton, rolex watches, swarovski crystal, canada goose, converse shoes, moncler, moncler, ralph lauren, toms shoes, hollister

Unknown said...

201510.26dongdong
Louis vuitton Official Website Outlet Online
michael kors outlet
tory burch sale
Michael Kors Handbags Clearance Outlet
Canada Goose Outlet Online
louis vuitton outlet online
michael kors outlet
mont blanc pens
ugg boots
100% Authentic New Lerbron James Shoes
coach outlet
michael kors bags
Montblanc Pen Refills Outlet
burberry outlet
canada goose jackets
michael kors outlet online
hollister uk sale
Air Jordan 6 Champagne Bottle
mihchael kors bag
michael kors handbags
coach outlet online
Authentic Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet Sale
ugg boots
true religion jeans
Michael Kors Outlet Sale Handbags Discount
Christian Louboutin Outlet Sale Cheap Online
coach outlet
cheap jordans,jordan shoes,cheap jordan shoes
Authentic Air Jordan 13 shoes for sale
cheap uggs
Designer Louis Vuitton Handbags Outlet
louis vuitton outlet stores

Unknown said...

dior glasses
longchamp
adidas nmd r1
chrome hearts online
yeezy boost
true religion outlet
louboutin shoes uk
adidas nmd
adidas shoes
pandora charms

Unknown said...

www0515chicago blackhawks jerseys
ugg boots
warriors jerseys
canada goose jackets
mbt shoes
oakley sunglasses
moncler outlet
uggs outlet
yeezy boost 350
hermes birkin

Unknown said...

www0802
michael kors outlet online sale
canada goose outlet
off white nike
ralph lauren uk
coach outlet
polo ralph lauren outlet
huaraches
nike shoes
cheap nba jerseys
nike outlet


5689 said...

zzzzz2018.9.2
polo ralph lauren
golden goose shoes
pandora
pandora outlet
coach outlet online
michael kors handbags
jordans
fitflops sale clearance
canada goose jackets
ugg boots

yanmaneee said...

adidas yeezy
kate spade handbags
lebron james shoes
converse shoes
vans
jordan shoes
off white clothing
golden goose sneakers
golden goose
off white nike

Mai said...

المغربي
تزيين حدائق بالفجيرة
تصميم حدائق بالفجيرة
خدمات الفجيرة

Mai said...

خدمات تلال
افضل شركة تعقيم مباني بالبخار في عجمان
شركة تنظيف سجاد مع التعقيم بالبخار في عجمان

teresl said...

buy replica bags online i71 g1z36t2k00 Louis Vuitton fake Bags e08 l0u51d0a91 best replica designer w01 z8c27s2c93